What should I look for when buying melatonin supplements?
- Melatonin should be Pharmacy grade. Pharmacy grade melatonin has a USP label printed on the bottle. The USP stands for United States Pharmacopeia. It provides testing and sets standards for food ingredients, medicines and food supplements. Products that meet the requirements of USP can display the USP Verified Dietary Supplement Mark on the product label. When you are buying USP grade melatonin, you are assured that you are getting high quality melatonin.
- Melatonin should be synthetic not from animal source. Animal based melatonin can be contaminated with viruses.
- Melatonin should not be mixed with other active ingredients like vitamins, to lessen the chances of getting complications.
- Melatonin purity should be 99% or higher.
- Melatonin supplements should be bought from reputable brands. It is always a good idea to look for a reputable brand of Melatonin Supplement because melatonin is sold as a food supplement and not as a medicine. The Food and Drug Administration does not regulate Melatonin Supplement manufacturers so the quality and quantity of melatonin varies from manufacturer to manufacturer.
- Consider using sustained release melatonin versus regular release melatonin.
What melatonin brands do you recommend ?
- Natrol – Natrol buys raw materials from companies located in the U.S. and abroad. Regardless of the country of origin, our extensive quality procedures ensure that Natrol’s products are safe, pure, and meet label claims. Natrol’s Quality Assurance Program involves the following key components:
- NOW Foods – NOW is still family owned as it has been from the beginning. El Richard started the company in 1968 and the entire family has contributed to the success of NOW.
In 1968, NOW Foods was founded under the belief that good health was not a luxury available only to the wealthy. For the past forty years, we have made it our life’s work to offer health food and nutritional supplements of the highest quality, at prices that are fair and affordable to all those who seek them.
Today, NOW Foods is one of the top-selling brands in health foods stores, an award-winning manufacturer, a respected advocate of the natural product industry, and a leader in the fields of nutritional science and methods development. And while we have grown considerably over the past four decades, one thing has never changed – our commitment to providing products and services that empower people to lead healthier lives.
- Optimum Nutrition – Optimum Nutrition was founded in 1986 by brothers Tony and Michael Costello. Originally known as Costello’s Health Distributors, the entrepreneurial brothers soon recognized an opportunity in the need for significantly improved quality and innovative vision in the sports nutrition industry. The Optimum Nutrition brand was launched to satisfy both demands, and after 22 years of success reflected in great part by the ongoing best-selling status of ON Gold Standard 100% Whey, the Costello’s entered into agreement to sell the company to the international cheese and nutritional ingredients group Glanbia.
Optimum Nutrition, Inc. ( ON ) is a wholly owned subsidiary of Glanbia , a leading international cheese and nutritional ingredients group. ON owns and operates two brands of nutritional supplements (Optimum Nutrition and American Body Building) providing a comprehensive line of products across multiple categories.
With state-of-the-art production facilities occupying over 500,000 square feet of operating space, ON is the only sports nutrition company to manufacture items in every product category. Whether it’s nutritional bars, protein powders, ready-to-drink sports beverages, or vitamins, essential minerals, and herbs, Optimum Nutrition is able to control the integrity of all products through in-house manufacturing. Supported by Costello’s Health Distributors (Optimum Nutrition’s sister distribution company) and ABB’s nationwide direct service distribution network, customers are ensured prompt delivery and unmatched customer support.
- Source Naturals – Source Naturals was created in 1982 by C.E.O Ira Goldberg to support each individual’s potential to enjoy optimal health. At that time, the kind of nutritional formulations he envisioned – for the maintenance of well-being and the enhancement of life – simply didn’t exist. The idea of combining many nutrients, herbs and nutraceuticals in one formulation, though common today, was then a rarity. Source Naturals pioneered the concept with Wellness Formula®, now the industry’s #1 immune support product.
Source Naturals subsequently introduced numerous award-winning formulas, recognized for their excellence in independent surveys and nutritional analyses. In addition to Wellness, these award-winners include Life Force Multiple™, Mega-Kid Multiple™, Inflama-Rest™, the Skin Eternal™ line, Higher Mind™, Essential Enzymes™, Male Response™, and more.